تقليص
X

• تصفية - فلترة
  • الوقت
  • عرض
إلغاء تحديد الكل
مشاركات جديدة

• never get confused between affect and effect

The words “affect” and “effect” are frequently misused and confused, one being used incorrectly in place of the other. But they have no senses in common. Both words can be used as either nouns or verbs, so that's not really a worry. But “affect” is almost always a verb, whereas “effect” is more commonly used as a noun than it is as a verb. “Affect” as a noun is almost entirely reserved for psychologist. Its use as a noun by a journalist is an affectation.

There is often confusion over the words 'effect' and 'affect'.
    In order to understand which to use, you must know the difference between a noun and a verb.
    This is because effect is a noun; whereas, affect is a verb.
    However, there are tricks to get around this.

'

Affect

Affect is almost always used as a verb. When used as a verb, its meaning is "to influence" something. Therefore, you would always use "affect" when trying to say that someone or something had an influence. For example, "The damp and rainy day affected Harry's mood." Very rarely, affect can be used as a noun. Psychologists are usually the only people to use affect as a noun to describe someone's mood or emotional state.

Effect

Effect is almost always used as a noun. When used as a noun, its meaning is "a result". Therefore, you would always use the word effect when trying to say that a change occurred as a result of something else. For example, "The rain had no effect on Harry's mood." Very rarely, effect can be used as a verb. In this instance, "to effect" means, "to bring about something, cause it to occur or to accomplish a task".

~

A LITTLE TRICK TO SPOT 'EFFECT'

The word effect has several meanings. It can mean outcome, consequence or appearance. Try using one of these instead of effect. If the sentence still makes sense, then effect is almost certainly correct.
    (This trick works because effect is a noun, just like the words outcome, consequence and appearance. )

A LITTLE TRICK TO SPOT 'AFFECT'

Try using the verb 'to transform' (in its various forms; e.g., transforming, transformed, transforms) instead of affect. If the sentence still makes sense, then affect is almost certainly correct. However, if you find yourself using transformation then you should be using effect, because both are nouns.
    (This trick works because 'to transform' is a verb, just like 'to affect'. )

NO CONFUSION

There should be no confusion with 'affecting' or 'affected'. These are always verbs.

BE AWARE

There is a verb 'to effect'. It is quite rare, but useful in business writing. It means 'to bring into being'.

Example : The new policy will be effected as soon as the paper is signed.

I Hope these facts would not make you confused no more

that's awesome really
    I used to use both of them anyway but now i knew the
    right purpose of each one
    thanks for the hint and useful information
    keep up the good hints

تعليق

المشاركة الأصلية بواسطة تَـرَفْ ~ مشاهدة المشاركة

that's awesome really
      I used to use both of them anyway but now i knew the
      right purpose of each one
      thanks for the hint and useful information